[AMPL 24926] AMPL CE running multiple jobs in parallel using SLURM

Hello,

For research purposes, I need to execute a solver built upon ASL on thousands of problem instances. The solver used is custom (made of the interaction of CPLEX + custom routines in an iterative fashion). I have access to a high performance computing cluster using SLURM and would like to be able to integrate AMPL with this.

The header of my licence file looks like this (I am omitting the key and my email address):

Temporary AMPL, BARON, CONOPT, CPLEX, GUROBI, KNITRO, LGO,

LINDOGLOBAL, LOQO, MINOS, SNOPT, XPRESS, OCTERACT, COPT & MOSEK

single-machine server license expiring 20240104

licensed to AMPL Community Edition License for

email.address@server.ca:

The problem is, AMPL will complain when running jobs in parallel, apparently because it won’t allow running multiple jobs on the same machine at once. Is there a way to resolve this?

Thank you for your assistance,

Claudio C

Hi Claudio,

Thank you for reaching out. The AMPL CE license should allow multiple runs on the same machine. Could you please provide more details on how multiple instances are being invoked on the same machine? The license needs to be activated once and then multiple processes can use the license and will renew the license as needed. If they processes are running inside containers, then the license needs to be activated once in each container when it starts. Could you please send us the amplkey.log file that should be next to ampl.lic?