Understanding ampl licenses

We have a small server and I would like to install ampl there to run with cplex solver. I would like to install for all the users (it is a linux server). However, it is not clear to me how to do it.

1. Should every user download ampl and install it in its home to run with its own license file?
  2. Can the ampl installation be shared for all the users and them, every user must have its own license file?
  3. Can we obtain a multiuser license with the community version?
  4. Do you have any documentation about how to install it in a server with multiple users?

Best regards,

Leopold

1 Like

Hi @Leopold_Palomo,

1. Should every user download ampl and install it in its home to run with its own license file?

This is a common approach and gives each user freedom to update whenever they want.

1. Can the ampl installation be shared for all the users and them, every user must have its own license file?

The installation can be shared, but only some licenses allow sharing. For instance, server licenses allow sharing, single-user licenses do not.

1. Can we obtain a multiuser license with the community version?

Community Edition is personal and cananot be shared. But each user can use their own community edition license with the same AMPL installation.

1. Do you have any documentation about how to install it in a server with multiple users?

To install for multiple users you can place ampl.linux-intel64 for instance in /opt/ampl.linux-intel64. Then each user needs to have the following three environment variables in ~/.bashrc:

export PATH=/opt/ampl.linux-intel64:$PATH
export PATH=$PATH:/home/fdabrandao/bin/ampl.linux-intel64
export AMPLKEY_RUNTIME_DIR=$HOME/.ampl/
export AMPL_LICFILE=$HOME/.ampl/ampl.lic

Each user can then run $ amplkey activate <license-uuid> and activate their own AMPL CE license.